Joining in with the amazing Tonya for a Holiday edition of 3 things about me
3 Things I love about Christmas
1. Celebrating baby Jesus. What its all about.
2. Christmas songs. I dont know if its because its one month out of the year that they are played, but they just make me so happy to listen to.
3. Lights. I always love when dark nights are made more joyful with glow of Christmas lights from everyone's homes & windows.
3 Things I dislike about Christmas
1. The materialism of it. So much of Christmas isn't about the celebration of Jesus & it just makes me so sad. How it turned from celebrating our Savior to spending all the money you have saved up for a moment of opening a package & let's be honest, how many of those packages are totally forgetten in such a few weeks? It's just sad to me. I always say I cant imagine what God thinks when he sees what people focus on during the holiday
2. The Comparisons. In a world of Pinterest & Instagram & the goal to have the PERFECTLY BEAUTIFUL HOLIDAY - complete with decorations, tree, gifts just wrapped with the perfect bow that stands up (how does that even happen?).... The goals & expectations are just too much.
3. THE STRESS. I guess that sums it up. Trying to please everyone with that gift you are trying to figure out. The finacial stress. The trying to be everywhere, be everyone & do everything.... UGH
3 Favorite Christmas Movies
1. ELF - I never tire of it & still gut laugh every time
2. Scrooged - with Bill Murray. I adore that movie.
3. The Santa Clause. I love the movie -but it also is special because the day we saw it in the theater, is the same day Ricky proposed to me. I remember that day so well.
3 Favorite Christmas Traditions
1. Christmas Breakfast. I dont know why but I love making breakfast on Christmas morning. It's nothing different than I usually make, but it just tastes magical that morning.
2. I will say, the past few years, our Christmas Day has opened up with out any commitments to go anywhere so we've started going to the first movie of the day on Christmas day - while everyone else is opening presents or spending time with family. It's been a fun add on to our holiday. This year - STAR WARS!!!!
3. Sitting in my living room looking at the tree. Says it all. I dont spend a lot of time in our living room - but when the tree is lit, I can sit in there all night long & bask in the glow.
3 Favorite Christmas Songs
1. Casting Crowns - I heard the Bells on Christmas Day. My FAVORITE!!!!!
2. Josh Groban - O Holy Night - MY FAVORITE!!!!!
3. Trans-Siberian Orchestra -Christmas Canon - MY TOTAL FAVORITE!!!... I walked down the aisle to Canon in D & this just makes me tear up every time I hear it.
3 Favorite Christmas Gifts Received
1. My Engagement Ring. Christmas Eve is when Ricky proposed... back in 1994. At my church's candlelight Christmas Eve midnight service. WOW... What a great Christmas that was.
2. As a teenager, I can remember opening all the presents & we were finished, but walked up to my bedroom & found a STEREO!!! I was probably 13... having my own stereo was a BIG THING. It had a DUAL CASSETTE player on it. I could RECORD CASSETTES. Oh my gosh - my mind was blown. & it had a record player on it. Bring on the albums! I still can remember the feeling of surprise of seeing it in my room & how excited I was about it.
3. We got our first dog as a kid on Christmas morning. A little schnauzer sitting under the tree... & me & my brother ran right past her. haha... She was our family member for many years.
3 Gifts I want to give the world.
1. To animals, I want to give the gift of compassion. They matter. They have minds, hearts, emotions. All the animals. I wish I would save them all.
2. To teens, I want to give the gift of presence. To let my youth know they are loved, & I am there for them to listen to them, laugh with them, to be a shoulder to lean on & a heart to celebrate with ... & mainly to point them all on the right path to help them become amazing adults.
3. To everyone I meet every day, kindness. I think kindness is so over looked. A smile. A simple gesture. Kindness can change the world if it was spread from one person to the next.
So join in - tell us your favorite things