WOW! Talk about excitement in my office today - sparks were flying - literally! I am on the same air/heat unit as another woman who is constantly hot, while I'm sitting with icicles hanging off of my nose. I keep a little heater by my desk that is on usually all 9 hrs I'm at work trying to defrost enough where at least my fingers can type & write & calculate. Well, the sun was shining in my window for just a bit & it warmed up some so I decided to turn off my heater - give it a well deserved break. That lasted only 30 minutes - my body is freezing up again so I go to turn on good "ole faithful". AHH - warmth - then...what's that noise, it sounded like hair getting sucked into the end of a hair dryer - isn't that a horrible noise? The sound of hair burning & coiling & sizzling - I just assume some of my hair has floated down into the motor. I only thought that for about 10 seconds because next thing, I'm seeing sparks flying out of this thing - sparks shooting up like the 4th of July fireworks display. Flames start shooting out & I just start screaming! Its funny now - not at the time - but I just sat right next to it screaming - I couldn't leave....I was too busy trying to figure out how to get my knitting away from it which was sitting right next to the burning heap of ceramic heater that was left. I'm screaming while calculating my risks - all for this yarn (if you felt it, you'd understand the risk too!) Finally people come running - put out the fire & I can check my yarn to see all is well! After realizing my legs were shaking, I saw my yarn, needles & patterns were all safe - who cares if my carpet is scorched or my desk has burn marks now!
With my yarn OK - the next thing on my mind - how the heck am I going to stay warm tomorrow?
You and every other knitter would have had the same thought.ReplyDelete
Save the yarn!
Glad to hear it was just a small incident. Way to liven up the work day.
Oh my! I'm glad the most exciting thing that happened to me today was getting pooped on by the mice.ReplyDelete
Hooray for your yarn escaping unscathed!
No wonder our maintenance guys don't want up to have extra heaters! Glad you're ok -- and that the yarn was saved!ReplyDelete