1. Tradition...how tightly do you cling to tradition when it comes to holiday gatherings and celebrations? For instance do you always do the cooking, never eat at home, always go to grandma's, never miss the parade, always watch football, never change the menu, always eat at 2 PM, etc.? Have you ever celebrated Christmas or Thanksgiving away from hearth, home, and family? How did that feel?
Growing up, we used to have traditions that we would stick to. Like, we KNEW Christmas Eve was at my grandmothers... & we KNEW that you dont open gifts until everyone was up & could go in the basement together. Now, traditions aren't as important... not sure why. I think I like them. I'm the person who likes routine & consistency, but it seems like everyone around me, not so important.... so it gives me a bit of anxiety but I deal... & I still do traditions for the things I CAN control. Like, I'll still watch the Macy's Day parade on Thanksgiving day - I'll bake some sweet treats - I'll have some good coffee or hot chocolate & sit by the tree & watch an old Christmas show... even if I have to do these things all on my own, I'll still do them for my own heart.
2. Help...is it easy for you to ask for help or are you a do-it-yourselfer? How is that a good/bad thing?
I loathe asking for help. I think the only time I'd ask for help if I was dying or a limb was falling off. But the ironic thing - I love TO help someone in any way I can. I know there's an irony in that.... can't help it.
3. Abundance...what is there an abundance of in your kitchen?
Papers. Not the typical "kitchen" answer, is it ? But it seems like my counter is ALWAYS full of papers. Bills to pay, bills already paid, crafty things I've drawn, my Bible study workbooks & notes, recipes, coupons. Yeah..... I need to become more organized.
4. Name...the smallest thing you're thankful for? the biggest?
Smallest? I'm thinking of both the smallest thing in size & the thing you use every day that you just over look.... I dont know why, but dental floss came to mind. haha. Its true though. I guess I am thankful for it to keep my teeth clean... & actually I use it to make my pom poms for hats too... See? A true blessing.
Biggest? 100% Jesus & His mercy & grace & the life He sacrificed for me.
5. Key...What do you think is the key to living a more grateful life?
Being aware ... keeping those eyes open to know that every day is full of blessings that we so easily over look.
I love doing my gratitude journal every day to make sure I am totally aware of the blessings that carry me through every day.
Speaking of which - Thankful Thursday is tomorrow if you want to link up with me.
I do this EVERY Thursday... & would LOVE to see more people acknowledge the blessings in their life - be thankful YEAR ROUND & not just in November.
6. State your own random thought here.
So many of you have sent the kindest words & prayers for my mom.
Yep - she's still in the hospital & is going to be in there for Thanksgiving at the minimum. She's scheduled for some tests on Thursday so not the holiday we were planning at all.... & while I was hoping for a relaxing & restful week off, its anything but.... but I'm taking my own thoughts on the last question - I'm being aware. Realizing that if I was at my new job & not able to go up to the hospital & sit for awhile & give my dad a break from there, it'd be a tougher week for our whole family. God's timing.
Hope to see some of you around tomorrow for Thankful Thursday... the best one of the year when it falls on Thanksgiving!