Wednesday... means Hodgepodge Day
1. What are three qualities you most want to see evidenced in a teacher?
I'm trying to think back to my favorite teachers & what I liked about them. So taking the view of the kids & not the view of the parents - which I'm sure they would all want: Smart, Trusting, organized, blah blah ...
I wanted my teacher to have these 3 qualities:
1. Funny - I love people that can make me laugh. My saying that I still stick by today when teaching youth is, "if they're laughing, they're listening"
2. Cool - so you came in 2 seconds after the bell rang? dont worry about detention. Have one of those teachers that lock the door as the bell is ringing & you cant get in? Yeah - that's NOT a cool teacher. A cool teacher also let's the room talk the last 5 minutes of class... they dont give evil pop quizes that bomb your grade... they let you chew gum
3. They dont sit you out in the hall for not wanting to listen to Tom T. Hall songs. (I'm still traumatized... I actually did a post on this a few months back... who cares if it was 34 years ago)
So as you can see - my qualities have actually nothing to do with education. :)
2. You can tell a lot about a person by __________________.
& I dont mean whats IN the wallet, as money...
I dont know why, but since I was a teenager, I would look at people's wallets & could figure out a lot about them. If a guy had one of those velcro wallets? Oh, forget it. I couldnt even talk or look at them. If a wallet had papers flying out from everywhere, you can see how organized they usually are. If they had a beautiful wallet, I thought they had it all together.
I started judging people over stupid things early in life...
3. What song makes you think spring?
For me, its "My Old Kentucky Home" ... that's the big song played everywhere around here at Derby week... & Derby weeks is always the first Saturday of May... its officially Spring then baby!
4. May 1st is Mother Goose Day...share your favorite nursery rhyme.
So I'm a nerd & looked some up.
Here's a site that has a bunch that you can listen to
Looking at them... I've determined... nursery rhymes are just stupid
A spider sitting down beside Miss Muffet?... a talking black sheep?... an old woman who swallowed a fly & we're waiting on her to DIE? .... a London Bridge ready to fall down? ... 3 poor pitiful blind mice who get their tail cut off with a carving knife?
These are all horrible, scarring stories to children... I refuse to ever tell another nursery rhyme to a child again.
5. What makes someone unforgettable?
What kind of wallet they carry... KIDDING!
For me, I always remember someone who stands out... that can be good or bad. But someone who makes an impression - whether that be with humor, or the way they carry themselves....
I think its like the good ole Simon Cowell says, if they have the X-Factor
6. Should music and/or art be part of a well rounded education?
Of course! Isnt there proof that it helps in math scores?
And didnt everyone see, "School of Rock" with Jack Black? It brings a class together..
7. What social situations make you flustered and nervous?
I actually get nervous at ANY social situation while I'm getting there... once I'm there in the situation, then I'm good.
To this day, after YEARS of speaking in public, I still get butterflies - but once I get in front of people & speak the first word, I'm just fine..
... probably my most nerve wrecking thing though is knowing where a bathroom is...
Once I know where to pee - I can handle anything :)
8. Insert your own random thought here.
Funny thing - yesterday, I posted a scripture that said I liked the NLT version because it used the word "Endurance" instead of "Perseverance"...
I went home & looked in my James Bible Study & remembered that Perseverance actually means "NERVE UP" ...
I thought how ironic that is for me, someone who's dealing with neuropathy - damaged nerves!!! :)
I may have to go back to the NIV version... I think it was made for me right now :)