I'm going to try & get on the same day now
... so doubling up from yesterday's reading & today's.
* OK - I mentioned this before back in Luke 1... Here we are again with John in the wilderness. & still my questions stick with me. Was he out there for years? Because he's an adult now & finally the word of God comes. Talk about being patient & waiting to hear God calling you - Whew!
* Gotta give it to John. He was preaching the truth, preparing that way for Jesus, dropping hints of truth on how to act when you really are a God follower ... & he didnt lighten the message to anyone - even the ones in charge. There's something to be said for that. I think a lot of times, the truth of God's word gets softened because we dont want to offend someone in this highly touchy world we live in... its where we get preachers that only like to preach the "Good News" - the blessings form God - & not the other things - the hard things that we come against. John gave no cares. You in charge here? You're still sinning dude.
* This whole thing. Can you even imagine? Skies opening up??? Voices from heaven??? Seeing a dove-like form descending upon this man named Jesus? ... this is Steven Spielberg stuff right here!
Now Jesus himself was about thirty years old when he began his ministry.
* 30 years old when he BEGAN his ministry. So 29 years that He knew who He was & sat back... waiting for the right moment. The divine appointed time. Can you imagine how he waited for the time for him to finally share all He had built up inside of Him - the TRUTH of who He was? I wonder if He ever really acknowledged it throughout His lifetime, little comments or little miracles done.
* so yeah, we get a whole page of geneology - which CONFESSION - i always skip these things. I dont even care about my own family past 3 generations... but I do love that it all comes back to this. Adam - the son of God. God at one end of this / Jesus at the other. One in the same. How cool is that?
* Dude... I can't make it over 4 hours...
* Look at this sneaky liar.... That stupid devil has no authority & splendor that was given to him ... & yet, he's trying to sell it. Trying to make promises he can't keep. What is he selling you today? What promises are you hearing that aren't from God? He knows where to hit & what you'll be willing to bite at, so keep those guards up.
When the devil had finished all this tempting, he left him until an opportune time.
* Always coming back, isn't he? Waiting for the opportune time. Man, I hate that devil. We know he's prowling & waiting. Watching for the best time to jump in & steer you off course. To shake that faith. To snatch away any hope. To cause that unbelief to grow in your heart. Take Jesus's example - use God's Word to fight him off... send him on his sneaky way. BYE DEVIL!
* Going back to what John did - TRUTH TELLER - Jesus infuriates people for putting a mirror up to their face & they get so furious with him. Mad enough to THROW HIM OFF A CLIFF? WHAT? OK - anger issues much Nazareth? Geez....
But come on man - HOW STINKIN' COOL IS THAT ... Jesus just walks right through the crowd. & went on his way. That is so funny to me. Cant be bothered with this nonsense. I'm outta here! I got important things to do.
Dont you wonder what the heck these people wondered? Did he just sort of disappear? Did He calm them down with His words? How did it happen? ... However it worked, I just love it!
* now that's some healing! I get over a cold or sickness & it takes me a good week to recover to feel like myself to get back to cleaning the house or doing laundry. This woman gets healed & turns into Martha Stewart!
I guess when you feel so bad & someone instantly makes you feel back to normal, you're going to do whatever you can to make them feel at home.
* This sort of thing just freaks me out. Demons coming out of many people - MANY! MULTIPLE! Where they there for awhile? Just like hanging out in these people? That's terrifying!!!
But I love that Jesus has so much power over them, they weren't even allowed to speak!
Even cooler? They knew who He was. Here is Jesus - keeping their mouths shut, their voices quiet - they are FEELING the power of our Lord. Shut on up ugly demons!
* & he kept on preaching.
Isn't it something how people wanted to keep him from leaving. I mean, I get it. This guy is driving out sickness, getting the demons out of their town (EWW!!!) & he has to just be the Go-To guy to get everything done they wanted.
But didnt they want to share Him with others? Let the next town get this same sort of joy & healing? Nope. They wanted Him for themselves. We are such a selfish people, aren't we?
But Jesus... he kept on....
& He keeps on preaching even today. AMEN!
So what did you see in yesterday & today's reading?